Certified Water Right Examiners

Find an Examiner

In Idaho, private certified water right examiners can be used to file beneficial use field reports on behalf of permit holders. A beneficial use field report can be prepared by a department appointed examiner and is required after proof of beneficial use is submitted to the department. When an examination is conducted by a certified water right examiner, it must accompany the proof of beneficial use.

Become an Examiner

Certified water right examiners must be either a licensed professional engineer or a geologist who is registered in the state of Idaho. Only an IDWR-approved certified examiner can file Beneficial Use Field Reports.

Are you interested in becoming a certified Idaho Water Right Examiner? Complete our Certified Water Rights Examiner Application, and then file it with the department and include the application fee. You may want to contact a local office or read the statutes and rules that govern an examiner.

Water Right Examiner Forms

Beneficial Use Forms

Statutes and Rules

  • 42-217A
    Idaho statute authorizing IDWR to certify water right examiners and collect related fees.
  • IDAPA 37.03.02
    Beneficial Use Examination Rules